Home                             Search                                                                                Anita Alvarez , State's Attorney

Office Overview | Victim Services | Press Room | Community Resources | What's New | Careers | Juvenile Justice | Contact

Applying for

Child Support Enforcement Division
Collection and Enforcement

Child support is collected or enforced in the following ways:

By serving a notice on the employer to withhold support from the non-custodial parent’s paychecks and to forward the payment to the SDU [State Disbursement Unit]. The non-custodial parent may also mail payments directly to the SDU.

By filing pleadings in court requesting the non-paying parent to be held in contempt of court for the willful failure to pay child support, which may result in the non-paying parent facing jail, being subject to electronic home monitoring, or license revocation.

By intercepting federal and state income tax refunds.

By filing liens on property that prevent the non-custodial parent from selling or transferring property until the child support is paid.

By filing cases in criminal court that may result in a conviction for willful failure to pay child support and for leaving Illinois to avoid paying child support. A conviction may result in the non-paying parent facing jail, the sheriff’s work alternative program (SWAP), probation, fine and restitution to the custodial parent or guardian. Restitution is mandatory in all criminal child support case convictions.

Who is entitled to child support enforcement services from the State’s Attorney’s Office?

This program is available to all custodial parents and legal guardians, regardless of a person’s income. A custodial parent or legal guardian does not have to be receiving public assistance in order to be a participant in this program.